Returning to School Safely
Some details on the reopening of Lissivigeen National School on 31st August 2020
As you know by now the Minister for Education announced on the 27th July that all schools will be reopening at the end of August. Details of the plan for reopening primary schools are available on the Department of Education website.
At this stage I want to outline a few items relating to the reopening of Lissivigeen National School. I will be in touch again with more detailed information at the end of August.
- Lissivigeen National School will be opening on Monday the 31st August 2020 for all classes.
- School will start at the normal time for all classes with doors opening at 9.10 AM. We will be finishing at the normal time for all classes.
- We will be using four different doors for the children to enter the school in the morning, evening and at break times. We will give more details on this in the week prior to reopening. This will reduce congestion and will help with social distancing while entering and leaving the school.
- Parents will not be allowed enter the school in the morning with the children. We will have staff in the carpark to escort children from the drop off area to the school grounds.
- Children are not to be dropped off early as we cannot let them play in the school yard before school.
- We have attached baskets underneath each desk and children will keep their own books in these baskets. Books will not be shared between pupils.
- We have placed hand sanitiser and paper towel dispensers at the toilets in each classroom. Children do not need to bring their own towel for hand drying.
- Our normal school uniform policy will apply. Some parents were concerned that uniforms and track suits might have to be washed every day but there is nothing in the Department guidelines about this, so there is no need for more washing than you would normally do.
- All school staff will complete Covid-19 Induction Training prior to returning on the 31st of August.
- We will be following templates form the Department on classroom layout to maximise space and ensure social distancing. Children will be in Pods in the classroom which will be groups of four. Children will be with their own class group on the yard at break times.
- We will be staggering break times during the day to ensure less children are on the yard at any one time.
- Masks: Children will not wear masks in school as they are not suitable for children under 13 years of age.
- If a pupil is sick or displaying any symptoms of Covid-19 he/she must not attend school.
These are just some of the things we have in place for a safe return to school. I will be in touch again with more details prior to reopening.
Norma Foley, Minister for Education has sent a letter to all parents which I have included on the parents section of our website.
Some children may be nervous about returning to school so please reassure them that we will all be working together to make school as safe as possible for everyone.
Thank you for your co-operation.
Mise le meas,